About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tech-no-logic

I have changed my broadband supplier. Along with defrosting the freezer, this makes me feel very adult.

There was nothing wrong with my old broadband supplier - Zen. They were recommended by a friend, and their tech support and customer service was excellent. But, sadly, Sky have tempted me by offering me the same speed product with a greater download limit for only £5 per month, when I'd previously been paying £18. It was a no brainer.

Much like Sky's tech support person I spoke to earlier.

Ho hum. Still, I'm all set up and whizzy now. Can't send emails yet, but I can receive them. Besides which, Facebook's kind of replaced all that, hasn't it?


It's really odd how the Internet has - within the last ten to twelve years - totally revolutionised the way we live. I'm not just talking about leisure time, downloading files and watching video clips on YouTube. My family was an early adopter, and I was on the Internet back in 1995. But actually, that's not all that long ago.


Whilst personally I've never worked in a company without email, the first proper job I ever had, only my PC had the internet - because I was in charge of the website. I used to print everyone else's emails off for them each morning. Bigger companies had memo systems where multi-coloured carbon paper was filled out in triplicate and sent through an internal mail system. Sounds amazing, like something from the 1930s. And yet this was only twelve years ago.


Child of the new millennium I may be, but I genuinely can't imagine how an office could function without the ability to send files to each other at the click of a button and to know they were received instantly and securely.


Being in the office today for the first time in four days, I had 140 emails, all of which needed actioning.


Occasionally I wonder if the memo system defined a more metred pace, and perhaps less frantic stress.


Ah well, the joys of Facebook Scrabble are recompense enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reason Sky is £5 instead of £18 is because it only works 5 out of every 18 days. It's in the contract.

Sorry! :o)