About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Blind man's guff

Time for some honesty. I don't like Christmas. At all. Before you wave me off with shouts of "Bah humbug", here are some things I do like about Christmas:

  • Choosing gifts for people
  • Taking the piss out of the Midnight Mass sermon
  • Getting to sing "It came upon the Midnight Clear" (beneath the angel strain hath tolled two thousand years of wrong... and man at war with man hears not the love song which they bring. Oh hush the noise ye men of strife, and hear the angels sing... Lovely.)
  • Getting to see friends and family that I don't always manage to catch up with at other times of the year.

There are many things I do not like about Christmas. A lot of this is the shopping frenzy. For a few years now, I've done all my Christmas shopping online, but I still hate having to pop into Boots for a sandwich or whatever near Christmas as I end up queueing with all the stupid people. Luckily this year, it looks like I might be abroad for the worst part of it.

Also, I hate how they change the words of carols to be more politically correct. "And warring humankind hears not the love song which they bring. Oh hush the noise of human strife..." Oh fuck off. It's usually men fighting anyway. Unless you're in Coalville on a Friday night.

Anyway, yesterday, yesterday, barely scraping into November, I was at Liverpool Street tube station. There was a busker, who I've often heard at Chancery Lane... he's blind... and whistles. Badly. This is annoying enough when he does "Greensleeves" or a selection from The Sound of Music. Last night I was treated to an out-of-tune version of "The Holly and The Ivy".

It's early November! The fucker. Still, he didn't see me make off with his little hat full of money, so there's a silver lining to every cloud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was once in Borders at the end of October, and they were playing Happy Xmas War Is Over by John and Yoko. Every single person in the shop - every *single* person - had their heads craned skywards with a look of pure horror.

(By the way, if you get an account with www.thebox.bz, they've got Dark Towers available for download.)

Sara said...

Americans find any excuse to fill the stores with "Holiday" crap as early as possible, music playing and all... I can't stand it either!

Even Halloween is considered a "Holiday" here... seriously!

So, from at least Sept 1st through Oct 30th it was nothing but Halloween... Oct 31st is the cross over day where everything is on sale and Christmas looks like it threw up in all the local shops and malls!
Wonderful!!!

I can't wait for the Valentines stuff to come out on Dec 26th! Yay!
*Please note the sarcasum*

Anonymous said...

They've got Badger Girl now as well!!

Laura said...

Ah, now you see, I never saw Badger Girl. Dark Towers yes. (Tracy was a loner...)

And Geordie Racer. A drama about pigeons, conceived entirely I think to teach seven year-olds how to spell "pigeon".

L x