About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Video killed the audio star

I had a video conference today. This is where some colleagues up in Scotland have a TV screen that they can see us lot down in London on - and vice versa. A regular patron of audio conferences (via telephone), this was my first video conference.

The Laura-curse of being early meant that I was in the room well before anyone else had arrived. A large TV wall greeted me, though it was blank, like a switched off telly.

I shuffled some papers. I tucked my hair behind my ears. Ploggers, I may have picked my nose.

Suddenly God spoke. "Laura Nunn?"

The TV was still blank, but someone had spoken to me. I am ashamed to admit that I checked all four corners of the 3 metres square room for God. Who was female. And apparently didn't approve of nose-pickers.

"Laura Nunn?" repeated the voice.

"Yes?" I said to God.

"Laura, it's Kate. Can you see me? I can see you!"

I pressed a button, and suddenly, Nice Kate (friend and colleague) sprang into view before me, beamed directly from Edinburgh. I got a bit over-excited and waved.

I don't know whether or not I was picking my nose. I hope not, though it's probably the sort of thing I would do.

I was telling Mrs Nunn about it later. She laughed a lot, paused, then added sagely, "It's a good job you weren't scratching your twat."

Thank you, Mrs Nunn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once observed a colleague attempt to configure a video conference and, unable to do so, shout "Super Anal Fist Fuck!" at it in a rather broad Glaswegian accent. Needless to say, it was actually working at the other end.

You know this to be true, because if it were a joke it would be too obvious a punchline.