About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, November 05, 2007

Thank you for the music

Two years ago I got a song stuck in my head. OK, it's happened to us all at some point, but this was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. I blame it on Terry Wogan. One morning, whilst I was having a shower, he played a version of "Don't Know", originally done, I think by Kirsty MacColl. This one was recorded by Katrina - of Katrina and the Waves fame. It was a nice song. A bit hypnotic, but nice.

He played it again the next morning. This sealed the deal. For literally two weeks, I had barely anything but this song traipsing through my head, morning, noon and night. At one point it was so bad, I fairly seriously considered seeing a doctor. Particularly one phrase repeated itself in my head: "No I won't listen to their wasted lines, got my eyes wide open and I see the signs..." Over and over and over. If you're brave, you can check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywp6Ktx3fI

I tried everything to get rid of it. I tried listening to the song again, to see if that would help. It didn't. I tried singing other songs - everything from Tiffany to children's songs. Nothing worked. Eventually it faded and I was able to get on with my day job again.

The madness was over. Until yesterday.

Since following a link on the cursed YouTube at the weekend, I've had a song from Avenue Q on constant repeat in my noggin. It's got so bad, I've even been back to YouTube to listen to Katrina's song again to see if that one can replace it. Now I have them both stuck in my head. I think I might be going quite mad.

So if anyone knows a sure-fire cure to get rid of annoying head-based songs, then please let me know. I'll try anything. I'm desperate*.

* Not desperate enough to try Cliff Richard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cliff's got a new single out you know. I'm told that it's a cover of a Leo Sayer hit.

Still not tempted?!

Sara said...

Aaawww, I miss Cliff Richard! No one's heard of him state side. I think he may have been the second record I ever owned... after the Postman Pat theme song :)

Oh boy... that sounds really sad! Think I'm going to drown my patheticness in a bar of Cadbury's someone just imported for me, yay!

Laura said...

Oh God, my entire readership is composed of Cliff Richard fans. How depressing. :o)

Though Sara - to be fair - my first single was Jason Donovan's "Any Dream Will Do" - on record. So I don't think I'll be throwing any stones in the music house made of glass...

L x

Anonymous said...

There are only two guaranteed cures for the removal of a song from one's mind. They are:

1. Drink a lot of port.

or

2. Compose your own song.

If you select option two (which, being a teetotaller, I assume you will), may I perhaps suggest incorporating your now-famous "Between my legs" as some sort of chorus line?

Anonymous said...

Also why does your stupid comments page turn my deliberately-capitalised initials into lower case? I feel humiliated, and yet also insulted. Something Must Be Done.

James said...

"Thank you for the music between my legs" could be the title...