About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Practically jokes

Ah, April the first, how I love thee. Especially this year when no-one and nothing hoodwinked me (I even saw through the BBC's flying penguins, despite the early hour), and I managed to pull a rather funny work-based joke on Nice Kate (who may not be speaking to me anymore, but it was kind of worth it...).

Mrs Nunn's concept of April Fool is somewhat... unusual. Mrs Nunn believes so long as you make someone believe something that isn't true, then you have "April Fooled" them. It doesn't have to be funny or clever - just not true. Essentially this means every morning on April 1st each year, Mrs Nunn tells lies.

For example, this morning a package arrived for Mr Nunn. "That'll be the printer cartridges," said Mr Nunn.

Mrs Nunn went downstairs. She came back up. "It's not the printer cartridges," said Mrs Nunn. "It's a whole stack of vouchers for Aldi."

"Oh," said Mr Nunn.

"April Fool!" cried Mrs Nunn, gleefully, before phoning me, smirkingly, to tell me how gullible Mr Nunn had been.

Previous Mrs Nunn April Fools gems include: telling Mr Nunn he'd left the bathroom window open when he hadn't, telling him he'd had an email when he hadn't... the mayhem goes on and on. So long as he believes her, she counts it as "getting him".

Next year I might ring Mrs Nunn to tell her she's really good at April Fools' jokes... and then say, "April Fool!" and skip away joyously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should do what my sister and I did to our older sister. We phoned her and told her that our mum was dead.

Don't worry, we phoned again at noon to tell her it was an April Fool's joke.