About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Race riot

I'm not really a gambler. I bought one lottery ticket last year, and pulled Canada out of the office Rugby World Cup sweeptstake. Neither of which paid dividends of any kind.

However, I do like the Grand National, and usually have a bit of a gamble in some way or other. Even when I was a kid, my dad would go to the bookies and put £1 each way for me on a horse. Except there's always been a problem with me and the Grand National. Some would call it a curse.

Whilst Mr Nunn has a very high rate of success in picking a sure-fire winner, whichever horse I back - favourite or 200-1 outsider - always dies. I'm not talking about failing to finish the race or coming last. I'm talking about falling over (usually taking several others with it) and then being shot, to be put out of its misery. I am Laura Nunn, horse-slayer.

So this year I pulled out Opera Mundi from the office sweepstake. I Googled it to find out that already, a day before the race, it was already injured and not running. (It'll probably be shot later.) I demanded a redraw, and the horse dying in this year's Grand National will be...

Point Barrow.

You heard it here first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

17th fence: Point Barrow (pulled up)

(and then died)

(okay not really)