About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, September 21, 2006

The lag of jet

Well, I'm back in the UK. I appear to have missed most of that oft-promised and seldom-delivered thing which is the Indian Summer. Still, the weather is nice today, which always makes coming back home a bit more palatable.

Things which are true:

a) Nine out of ten American adverts (sorry, commercials) are for food.
b) One out of ten American adverts (sorry, commercials) are for drugs you might need for heart disease and blood pressure problems because you've eaten too much.

Am currently beyond ridiculously busy with work (holidays don't actually mean time off, they just mean shifting more work to the start and the end of the time you're not in the office). I also have a lot of travelling with work over the next couple of weeks. I will try my hardest not to be incommunicado, but advance apologies if this is the case. Also apologies to any friends who might be reading this. It is with great regret that I must announce that my social life is cancelled until further notice.

I've been reading Great Expectations. I have a nasty feeling that Charles Dickens' writing style has rubbed off on me. Still, better that than e. e. cummings. Look for the shift key, Mr Cummings. It's really not that hard! Capital letters are your friends!

Book club tonight - The Conjuror's Bird. Sounds like a reference to Paul Daniels' wife. Ha ha. I am so funny. It will be hard to win at book club tonight because I am jetlagged, but still, I will try my hardest to be cleverer than all the others put together. Wish me luck.

PS Connie as Maria? I wanted Abby to win! Still, I think Connie was probably my second choice. I love Sky Plus.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Laura, you're observations about the US are correct... they are crazy people over here, which is why I am trying so hard to cling on to my Britishness. Unfortunately, after 10 years it's difficult not to have picked up a lot of the Americanisms.
I'm looking forward to my trip to England in November, I need a break from this culture :)