About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Wuthering Sh*te

I am currently re-reading Wuthering Heights for a book group I belong to. I read it when I was 18, as the other English set were doing it, and I worried what I was missing out on. Not a lot, it turned out. Crikey, it's rubbish, and hasn't improved in the last eight years.

Bronte sisters, take note:

  • Whilst it's true that in everyday life, a lot of my female friends are called some version of Catherine /Katherine, the beauty of a work of fiction is that your characters can have more than one name. For Christ's sake, if I come across another Cathy, I think I'm going to scream.
  • Saying, "In God's name" is NOT swearing. Stop being so sensitive. Come to Bethnal Green and I'll show you some A-class swearing.
  • 300 pages to say what Kate Bush pretty much summed up in four minutes of song. Summarise, Ms Bronte.
  • Heathcliffe? Heathcliffe? What sort of name is that anyway?
  • Why would you give your child the Christian name of your mother's maiden name? That's just confusing. Wuther off.

Still, I will read it, because I want to win at book group. It is not enough just to go along and enjoy the company. I have to know more than everyone else and say better things. Not that I'm competitive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there's just no point going if you can't walk away feeling everyone else is stupid....that's why people go. same with a pub quiz... but you can pretend you are just doing it for the drink with those. not sure the book club would want to offer a free crate of stella to the person who memorised the most names in wuthering crap though....might send out the wrong message

Jack