About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, May 12, 2006

Making a meal of it

"'Ere! What can we get for a tenner?" asked Cookie of the smart waiter in the posh restaurant. Smart waiter didn't smile.

We'd booked in for a five-course meal. "I hope I'm not going to go home hungry," she continued, to the sligthly bemused waiter.

"Oh, Cookie, you'll probably have to get a McDonalds on the way home," Boothie said. Boothie is clever and knows these things.

"I had a McDonalds for lunch," said Naina, who doesn't yet have a nickname. We're working on it.

We were at a GTG - our monthly congregation of the girls, to catch up on all the news, talk about shoes, work and men (in that order) and give Cookie a chance to get us banned from as many London restuarants as possible. Previous GTGs have included:

  • Dover Street - where Cookie tried to set up our slightly camp waiter with a rent boy
  • Quaglinos - where Cookie decided that she didn't want cream with her dessert - so convinced the kitchen to make her custard. Epecially. And then to give us dessert for free.
  • Pattersons - where the words "Chinese prostitute" were said so often and so loudly by us that I'm not sure we're welcome back.
  • 1 Lombard Street - last night, where over a sumptuous chocolate torte, we discussed enemas and various poo-related topics, and Naina sent us all away to research merkins.

I love our GTGs - I usually leave them with my stomach hurting. And almost always in a good way.

No comments: