About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Man and Van

When I got up at about 7 this morning, a leaflet had already been pushed through my door. Post in Bethnal Green rarely seems to arrive before midday, and, aware it was election day, I assumed it would be a bit of last-minute campaigning. I went over to find out who the early birds were.

The leaflet read (and all formatting / grammar belong to the original):

"Small moves. Domestic Moves. Available for house moves and office Moves. Deliveries & Collection. Single item or full House moves Deliveries..."

So far, so grammatically shaky (to quote from one of my university essays. Me? Grammatically shaky? Don't think I've forgotten, Dr Stephen James). Anyway, the leaflet kind of made its point. But then it continued:

"Driver job is to drive From one place to another distance."

That's really useful. Because lately I've had to book removal firms where they'll only help if you're moving into the exact same address that you're leaving. Just twice in the last year I've hired firms who will drive from one place, but just won't go to another distance. It's good finally to see the sort of service the customer is crying out for.

It's also helped me out. This election, I'm voting for Man & Van - addressing my needs in the local community.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it upsetting to have friends writing on your blog, sorry plog, who are funnier than you?
Only joking, but just in case you take offence I'll remain anonymous

Laura said...

Yes. I hate my friends being funny so much, that I'm only friends with very, very dull and stupid people. How are you, by the way? :o)

Actually, it's all fitting together now... Who do I know who's fiercely competitive and makes people laugh? Kate - did you write both comments?

Come on anonymous - no offence taken - reveal yourself!

Anonymous said...

Nope! Ha har

Laura said...

Right, I didn't wnat to have to do this, but you've forced me to it:

- You either live abroad or work / access the internet late. Each of your posts has been after midnight UK time. Not many people who live abroad have the link to this site - I'd put money on the fact it's not Hazel. So, if you don't live abroad, you must work funny shifts (i.e. bar work) or in entertainment (i.e. comedy). You certainly don't have to be up early the next morning.

- Your comments were posted at roughly the same time each week, suggesting maybe you do something that means you're in the same place for just one day a week.

- You do not have regular access to the internet, as your posts have been a week apart. Technology is not important to you. You probably can't work your own mobile phone.

- Not sure about gender - instinct says male, but I'm not sure why.

- You have an aversion to using full stops at the end of sentences, meaning psychologically you don't like to finish things. More of an ideas person.

- The fact that you returned to review the post suggests you care about what other people think of you.

Am I right?

Can you tell I really wanted to be one of those criminal profilers for the police? I actually did want to join the Met Police at one point - but only because I wanted a horse. That wasn't enough to get me through the interview.