About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, February 05, 2007

Back in the day...

I did a really nice gig in Richmond last night - a Laughing Horse gig at the Britannia. If you live in the area, you should definitely pop along. Despite having been there at least five times before, Jessica the sat nav and I got hopelessly lost around some back streets of Richmond, and nearly took out a Mini Cooper as well. Serves them right for having a flash car.

My favourite moment of the evening was having arrived at the gig early (knowing Jessica as I do, I try to build in at least six hours' contingency), grabbing a Coke and pretending not to listen to some middle-aged men (Ugly and Stupid) opining.

"Well," started Stupid, "of course, there's always been oddballs around."

"That's true enough," affirmed Ugly. "True enough."

"When I was a lad, a bloke offered me a lift, asked if I'd considered modelling and then he asked me if he could feel my muscles. Dodgy! I said, 'Nah mate, I don't think so.' and he left it at that."

"Well, things were different back then," said Ugly.

"That's true," said Stupid. "Back in the day, paedophiles took no for an answer." Thank you, Stupid. And goodnight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in a taxi that was using a SatNav thing called TomTom.. or Bon Bon... or RonRon... or something doubled anyway. Worked like a dream- very impressive. Is that the one you use? Perhaps you should try it.

Laura said...

Jessica has her charms. She is a Garmin i3. This means that she is unreliable, slow and usually crashes sometime round about an important junction.

We are soulmates.

(Yes, when I come into a lot of money, I shall be TomTomming.)

L x

Anonymous said...

i've never taken no for an answer, it's all lies

Anonymous said...

I think we bought our TomTom from ALDI!

Most of the time it is so good, it even tells you which lane to go in. Although it did fail to guide us to the hotel for Kath's wedding. Most of the route was fine, it just got confused when we were about 100 metres away.

Maybe we should recommend SatNav to the old man that crashed into your Dad's car? It won't be perfect, but keep right and turn right in 100 metres is better than someone who can't see a parked car?!
H xx