About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Making light work

How many blonde comics does it take to change a lightbulb? Well, three lightbulbs in my case. And the answer, in case you're wondering, is I have no idea because I haven't achieved the goal yet.

Lightbulb No 1: The Bathroom. Lightbulb type: large reflector bulb, screw fitting. ACHIEVED! Time taken: 20 seconds.

Lightbulb No 2: The Bedroom. Lightbulb type: large spotlight, screw fitting. FAILED! No suitable lightbulbs in lightbulb drawer. Trip to Sainsbury's resulted only in me buying the wrong type of lightbulb. Inertia prevented me from going to the corner shop to buy more.

Lightbulb No 3: The Hallway. Also known as THE NEMESIS. Lightbulb type: small globe bulb, bayonet fitting. I have always detested this fitting. I won't go into mind-numbing detail, but this lightbulb has never yet been changed without much swearing and/or injury. The light fitting claims it takes either screw or bayonet fittings. Actually, it takes neither. It is a big bastard. I bought two more (wrong) types of bulb in Sainsbury's. I think I broke the fitting.

My friend Cookie swears that changing a light fitting is dead easy. She came round a couple of years ago to change one in my living room - apparently a half-hour job. She was still here twelve hours later, along with the emergency electrician, and my entire electrical supply was fused.

The oddball at the traffic lights near Sainsbury's was there again today. This time he didn't seem to want to take my photo, but was holding up three fingers to motorists as they went past. Perhaps he's telling us how much a photo costs. I don't know. I was too worried about my lightbulbs to think properly.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hhhhmmm, why don't you take the old lightbulbs with you to Sainsbury's so that you can compare and get the same ones? Just a thought... don't yell at me :)

Only from suffering similar lightbulb experiences myself have I come to this conclusion.

Laura said...

I DID take the lightbulbs to Sainsbury's. Admittedly, one of the lightbulbs I took was the wrong one. That was kind of my fault.

The other one though was definitely owing to the bastard light fitting. This is a sore point. I don't want to talk about it. (It's currently disassembled on my hallway floor.)

L x