About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Belief system

So, on Facebook, a friend made a genius suggestion about what I could give up next year for Lent. She suggested giving up atheism. I think this is a very good idea indeed. But to maximise the potential, I need to have a different creed each week. I really like the idea of embracing Islam for Lent. Well, maybe not Islam, if as and when I decide not to be Muslim anymore I might get stoned to death. Perhaps I'll save that one for last.

So suggestions of religions to practise / gods to believe in for next Lent please. I have already had a request for Baha'i. The only thing I really know about Baha'i is that you're not allowed to drink alcohol, so I figure I'm halfway there already.

I'm not sure how to judge which religion wins... I have to say I'm quite a big fan of religions with good songs. Hence Christianity is actually getting a fair few points for this one (minus the churches that don't believe in singing, and those who think "One more step along the world I go" is an example of "music"). I don't know many songs from other religions, other than a couple of Hannukah songs (OK, one).

Also the food you get is going to be important. I'm not a big fan of the communion thing - transubstantiation or no. Wine and a cracker = boring. Body and blood = a bit yuck. I don't know if other religious services involve food. I don't like curry or peas, but I can't think of any religions off the top of my head that involve curry - or indeed peas - as a staple part of their weekly service.

I know that Jewish weddings involve breaking a glass - that sounds fun. But I don't know if you get to do it every week.

Praying to the East five times a day is going to be difficult because of my rather rubbish sense of direction. I've also always wondered what you do if you live to the East of Mecca. Do you pray West? These things worry me.

Anyway, by Easter Day next year I should either have a new religion, or enjoying my return to atheism.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever post :) Because you mentioned the Baha'i Faith it showed up in my inbox (I run a site that follows news about the religion) so blog posts come through too.

If you'd like to know more about it I'd be happy to share.

I'll check back here :)
David

Susan Maneck said...

Well, one advantage of the Baha'i Faith is that if you become a Baha'i you don't have to go through all those other religions because the Baha'i Faith already embraces them. The music, however, is a bit uneven so bring your own guitar.

Sara said...

Finally I found your blog - I kept wondering where your 'imported notes' from Facebook came from. Oh I hope you don't get bombarded by the 'God squads' between now and then.

Maybe try going alphabetically or chronologically?

e.g. Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Hindu, Islam, Jewish, Sikh, Zorastrian

or history as according to Wiki:
Hindu, Jewish, Buddhist, Christian, Zorostrian, Islam, Baha'i

You could pick 7 religions, 5 days for each religion and end with 5 days of contemplative thought about your journey.

Can't you tell I'm avoiding writing my thesis!

GWD said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this post on Baha'i Views and link.

Laura said...

Happy for you to link, so long as link isn't used to promote anything offensive (well, more offensive)!

L x