About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ear today, gone tomorrow

Does anyone else see the Internet's main purpose as the forecaster of untimely doom?

For the last twelve hours, I've had a very minor whooshing pulse sound in my right ear. It isn't really bothering me and I only notice it when I think about it. Still, I thought I'd run it through Google to be on the safe side. Like I said, I've only had it for twelve hours, so it's hardly a chronic complaint.

I thought it might say I could have an ear infection or a bit of congestion.

No. Apparently I have an ear tumour (probably benign), or incurable tinnitus. Either way, it's surgery or living with noises in my head for eternity.

Now, if I went to my GP and told them about the whooshy noises, told them it had been going on for twelve hours, told them it wasn't really bothering me, chances are they'd have a bit of a poke in my ear, and tell me to come back if it hadn't sorted itself out in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, drink plenty of fluid, and take paracetamol if you get any pain. (All doctors have to say that last bit. It's standard medical advice, even if you go in for contraception.)

Chances are, I would then go home, forget all about it and it would disappear in a few days. Or later the same day.

But no, GoogleDoom has mapped out the remains of my unfortunate existence. Glomus tumour. Ear surgery. Brilliant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously have too much blood in your ears, thus you can hear it whooshing.

Cure: Ear Leeches.

I so could have been a doctor 500 years ago.

Anonymous said...

It might be the sound of somebody explaining directions to you.