About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, May 02, 2008

Hard hitting

In the last two days, I have spent six hours delayed by British Airways. They are pants. That is all I wish to say on that subject.

So the news was on the other day, and they were talking about changes to road tax for owners of larger vehicles. In our kitchen at work, Sky News is on constantly in the background, and below the main picture, a text summary of the story appears. The volume's usually on pretty low, so whilst making a cup of tea, I glanced up to see the latest headlines.

"Owners of cars bought before 2001 will be hit" proclaimed the headline.

Now, I'm all for environmental causes, and driving a 1.2 Corsa, this is hardly likely to be an issue that affects me directly, but surely that's a bit harsh. Just because these poor drivers chose to buy a bigger car... we're going to hit them? And what sort of violent message does that send round the country, the very day Grand Theft Auto IV is released?

Also, it's going to be a nightmare to administrate. Will government officials be knocking on the doors of every registered owner, with a specially-issued Hitting Stick?

I'm not sure they've thought this one through.

No comments: