About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Absolutely potty

Goblet of Fire (8th July 2000)

I had actually read the first three Harry Potter books by this date, and read this one too as soon as Mr Nunn had put it down. The diary entry for this date relies a lot on minute knowledge of fairly dull aspects of my life, so I'll summarise. I'd finished my first year at uni, and was back working in Coalville for the summer. With a new boyfriend whom I only saw at weekends, the bars on the window at work, looking out to a concrete carpark seemed a weekday prison. Whilst I still enjoyed the job and adored my colleagues, the weekends were my focus, and the soundtrack was Coldplay's Yellow and Spiller/Groovejet's If This Ain't Love. Later that summer I would go to my first (and only) music festival (OK, Party in the Park) in Birmingham and faint whilst Sid Owen sang something ridiculous.

Essentially - I was still a geek.

Order of the Phoenix (21st June 2003)

Working in my graduate job (for the company I still work for to this day), this was the day I moved to Bethnal Green with Erica. Some names have been changed.

"I'm knackered. Work's been busy and we had a team night out on Wednesday for Cookie's birthday. Daniel was there. (Latest 'Daniel is perfect' story: he has a black belt in karate, is a trained chef and spends Saturdays sketching in charcoal. Is this guy for real?) I wasn't very drunk but the combination of a late night, a big meal and alcohol meant I did throw up at 1.30 a.m. all over Erica's bathmat. Embarrassing. She took one look at the vomit, said, "I'm hungry. Can I have one of your chocolate bars?" I didn't feel I was in a position to refuse."

Could this be the start of a teenage rebellion? No. I gave up alcohol two years later.

I remember moving house on the day the novel came out, and with the wonderful, wonderful weather that year, Harry Potter and the park were prioritised for many weeks above the boxes of crap which littered my living room. I should really stop crapping in boxes.


Half-Blood Prince (16th July 2005)

A long journey to Gloucestershire for a wedding on this day. A tunnel collapse at Gerrard's Cross meant that it took me about seven hours to get to Stratford-Upon-Avon, involving a bus to Banbury and other ridiculous diversions. Normally this would have me utterly furious, but a Harry Potter book, purchased at the W H Smith's at Marlybone station distracted me from the tedium of the journey... and by the end of the seven-hour return journey home, the novel was finished.

A turbulent period in London and in Laura's head. It was good to get out of the city for a weekend, and out of myself for a day or so.

I remember the end of the novel - or something - made me cry on the train home.


Deathly Hallows (21st July 2007)

Ah! The SABE! The Second Annual Barbecue Extravaganza! I bought the book at Sainsbury's, along with a disposable barbecue and a book of matches. It rained all day and the SABE was abandoned in favour of Hairspray at the cinema and an al fresco lunch at Giraffe near the London Aquarium the following day.

All is well.

No comments: