About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, July 25, 2008

Potted history

OK, I don't normally do these meme things... It's not that they don't make me laugh or that I don't enjoy reading other people's, but I kind of figure that I generally tell you guys enough about my life, often in humilating detail, that you probably don't need to know which brand of toothpaste I prefer (Colgate Total) or whether I would kiss someone of the same sex for £1000 (obviously. Would probably do it for a tenner. If you have a tenner and would like to kiss me, let me know.).

Anyway, the below meme currently doing the rounds did interest me, mostly because it gives an interesting snapshot of the last few years, mostly pre-Plog, and allows me to wallow in a bit of nostalgia.

So without further ado, and with much quoting from diaries past I present: Things Wot I was Doing When the Harry Potter Books Came Out.


Philosopher's Stone (30th June 1997)

"Well, it's House Drama tomorrow. I'm not nervous so much as excited; I'm looking forward to it. I sense the cast is getting bored of the play, and although given more time and renewed vigour, we could make it a lot better, I think they've improved as much as they're going to and want to perform now. I expect I'll be very nervous tomorrow as director. I'll also miss it when it's over. It's a good distraction from gloomy thoughts. Other news - I've won a place on a drama course in France - all expenses paid! It's not until the last week in August, but it's something to look forward to. Anyway - a long day tomorrow as after the play, I'm off to Cambridge for an open day. Wish me and my cast luck... or tell us to "break a leg"!"

So much encapsulated in that one paragraph:

  • Age 17 I was already a bossy theatre geek
  • We did indeed win (well, jointly win) the House Drama contest with Daisy Pulls it Off
  • The drama course in France was hilarious and deserves its own Plog one day
  • And on a more melanocholic note, the leading lady of the play we put on, was killed on duty in Iraq last year.

Chamber of Secrets (2nd July 1998)

"I've not written for a couple of days. I've been really busy with Bugsy. Last night's performance was very enjoyable. Jennie came to see it again last night. I met her for a drink in the bar at the interval. I felt so sophisticated drinking (legally!) alcohol in front of the teachers - so grown-up - hello adulthood! Until I tipped most of the bottle of Stella down my front. Emma got dumped by pager on the way to the cast party - that's not got to be a lot of fun. I left the cast party early as I don't really like that sort of social occasion, but apparently there was all sorts of scandal and sexual intrigue. As ever by the time it all kicked off, I was at home with a good book! Tomorrow is my last ever day at school - the final leavers' assembly. I always thought I'd be sad at leaving. But actually, I'm ready to go."

  • Again, theatre geek! Though I was only chorus for this one.
  • Aged 18 now, and still utterly failing to have a teenage rebellion
  • Dumped by pager?! Pager? At least these days you've got the option to put a little sad, tearful face when you dump someone by MSN Messenger.

Prisoner of Azkaban (8th July 1999)

"I miss Tunisia already. It was idyllic. It is nice to be back in England and away from the pestering blokes (total greasy men tally = 19 offers of sex, two of marriage and 4000 camels). Work was lovely today. Not too busy as I hadn't been in the office generating work, but lovely to see all my colleagues and chat about my holiday! Loads of people asked if I'd enjoyed my holiday; I barely thought they'd notice I'd gone!"

  • In 1999 I was paid £7500 per annum to work for a tiny little company in Coalville. After paying my parents rent and running my car, I used to have about £100 per month left. It seemed a fortune, was enough for a weekly horse-riding lesson, a cheap girly holiday to Tunisia, and a PC when I went to uni the next year. And I genuinely don't think I've ever been as happy in any other job since.

Right, I think I'll save the rest for tomorrow. To give me something else to write about.

In other news, I had a giant queen bee in my flat yesterday. I thought I was just being a wuss and it was a regular-sized bee and I was blowing things out of proportion. Then I noticed another (regular) bee next to it, and I realised this really was a gargantuan of the bee world. It was six and a half feet tall. Not really, but it was at least an inch in length. I would have taken a photo but I was too busy standing near the front door with a glass, a piece of card and a terrified expression... which is exactly how TheBloke (TM) found me half an hour later. Both bees were despatched unharmed, you will bee (geddit?) glad to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I request more diary entires please :o)

Those ones kept me entertained for a few mins in Singapore airport :o)

H x

Anonymous said...

I saw two bees shagging in queens park while flying through the air. They then landed in front of me and carried on like i wasn't even there.
Don't ask me what harry potter book had just been published but it was probably harry potter and the mysterious magical bulge. or some tosh

bj