About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Non-PC

On Wednesday, I did my first gig for over a month. I fully expected not to be match fit, and to be pretty rusty, plus I was trying out a bit of new material, so really wasn't expecting too much from the gig - which is normally a pretty quiet one anyway.

However, being close to Christmas, the gig had taken a booking from 40 computer programmers on their work night out. Imagine a room full of pasty male virgins. If you're not too turned on by this thought that you immediately have to rush away from the computer to sort yourself out, do keep reading. One of the PMVs (pasty male virgins) was so horrifically drunk and obnoxious, that he kept grabbing the microphone from the performers, usually to say something hysterical like, "You look like David." It was comedy gold.

So, never shying from the dark humour, when I got on stage I said absolutely nothing. I fixed the troublemaker with a long, silent look. And then said quietly to the rest of the audience, "Looks like the ladies of Ipswich are safe tonight."

It was a strong opening to a really nice gig. I think being away from my material for a while actually meant I was fresher, and more happy to play around with the stuff that I did have. The new stuff went down OK too. I lost a few of the more tipsy PMVs towards the end, as their drunken concentration didn't stick with me for the longer anecdotes, and I certainly wouldn't list it as one of my best ever gigs, but on the whole, I was pretty pleased.

Even if the troublemaker did actually fall asleep during my set. Believe it or not, that's not even the first time that's happened to me. Perhaps I should take a hint.

1 comment:

Laura said...

No, no... My search for a husband officially ended when I hit 27. We must not go against the predictions of Madam Tamar.

(And yes, terrifed by the challenge. My flat is not a sanctuary for the socially-inept. Well, rarely, anyway. OK, sometimes. Shut up.)

L x