About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, December 16, 2006

What the duck...?

I've just seen something really distressing. Really, really distressing. If you're a child of the 80s, look away now.

It's been a good Saturday. Lots of relaxing, tying up a few bits and pieces I needed to do - just what you want at the end of a busy week. I put the TV on, and as I'd nothing particular SkyPlussed, I had a bit of a surf.

I stumbled across "Channel M" - apparently a Manchester-only TV channel. Today's feature was a primary school choir competition. Don't vote for them. They were all shit. I looked for the number to text that particular message in, but there didn't seem to be one available.

Anyway, the presenter doing the links seemed vaguely familiar. I sat through "Away in a Manger", sung by children who should have been imprisoned in said manger for crimes against music.

The presenter came back on. He was definitely familiar. Middle-aged, and definitely familiar.

I listened to nasty Mancunian children sing "Walking in the Air", which would have been more appropriately titled, "Screeching, plus recorders and a fat nine year-old who can't play the glockenspiel properly." Less catchy though, maybe.

The presenter said a little bit - and I suddenly recognised him. This was Andy Crane! Andy Crane of CBBC fame. You know, the one who had Edd the Duck. And that butler! And he was also on that thing on ITV about computer games, with Violet Berlin, who had a very big lisp.

Andy Crane. On regional TV. Presenting a - let's face it - utterly shit choir competition, in which probably only the parents will vote. And probably only then to stop their loud-mouthed progeny from opening their vile-sounding gobs.

The worst thing was, at the end of the programme (yes, OK, I watched it to its tedious conclusion), he didn't even get a credit.

Poor Andy.

I'd still do him though. Obviously.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I used to love Andy Crane! Hated Edd the Duck, but Andy was lovely :) Thanks for an 80's flash back I can actually relate to. All the 80's stuff my American friends reference, I have to shake my head and admit that I have no idea what they are talking about.
I'd probably still do him too!

Anonymous said...

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/interviews/andycrane.htm