About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, December 15, 2006

I wonder I am still talking - nobody marks me

Last night I saw the RSC's Much Ado About Nothing at the Novello in London. Wow, wow, wow. With spicy salsa music and set in 1950s Cuba, I liked it a lot. I saw a fab production about two years ago at the Globe, which was an all-female production. I had had reservations about that at the time, but Josie Lawrence's Brummie Benedick was an utter delight. I want Josie Lawrence to be my friend. She looks like a nice person. If anyone knows her, perhaps you could let her know, and she could come round for dinner. Thanks.

Anyway, I digress. Last night's production featured Tamsin Greig as Beatrice, and she absolutely sparkled. The sharp dialogue was spot-on, and Beatrice was played exactly as she should be - a tough, witty, intelligent woman... with a bit of a well-hidden soft side. If I have a criticism (and this does seem churlish), it's that Greig was too good. Whenever she was on stage, my eyes were drawn to whatever she was doing, no matter how insignificant, meaning that other characters' roles faded against her bright light a little.

(Side moan about ticket prices - balcony seats at nearly £30 - what is the world coming to?)

The evening was marred slightly by the fact we were sharing the balcony with a large party of school kids, many of whom whispered and had their mobile phones go off throughout the performance. However, I did get my amusement value during the interval when I was in the Ladies:

Chav Girl: This is shit, innit?

Friend: Shit man, innit, yeah?

Chav Girl: We're goin' 'ome, innit? Choo wanna come wiv us?

Friend: You goin' 'ome, isit? Yeah, man, shit.

Chav Girl: I don't even see the point. This is set in the fifties, and the one we're studying's set in Elizabethan times, innit?

Methinks a "U" grade at A-level this way comes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Methinks a "U" grade at A-level this way comes...

That high??!

David.