About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, June 09, 2006

Cab-tivating

"Me son arragght ferragh ooner. Doncha?" The man driving my cab said. This was clearly a question.

"Yes," I laughed. Thinking that this might cover most situations.

"Errarh holiday errarh goan Lanzarote," he added. And waved his arms around. Now, I will freely admit that my ear isn't really tuned in to heavy Scots accents, but in my defence, all the windows of the cab were open and the driver was (understandably) facing forward. And what I heard, I didn't really understand. Or care about.

Owing to heavy traffic, I was also in danger of missing my plane. I would like to say "due to heavy traffic", but my English teacher stamped that out when I was about 13. You should only use "due" if you're talking money or time. But to be fair, most things in life do come down to money or time. Like I had to pay for the taxi, and I was worried we would be late. Money and time.

I defy anyone to come up with a more frustrating situation in the world than being talked at incessantly by someone you can't understand, but who clearly wants answers, who is waving their arms around whilst you're stuck in traffic twenty minutes before your plane will leave.

So he's dead now. If anyone wants to buy a shiny black cab, drop me a line.

No comments: