About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Mardy

Out of the last 48 hours, 11 of them were spent waiting for planes. I shan't even begin to tell you the ins and outs of how my 8.30 a.m. plane failed to get me to Edinburgh until nearly 2 p.m., nor how I was delayed yet again last night coming back to City.

Let's just leave it at I was in a Very Bad Mood. Mardy, mardy, mardy (nice northern word - go and look it up. Or read on.).

But, with a cup of tea, cake on hand and a friend over later in the evening to make me laugh, the world began to look a bit rosier. Or at the very least, my own mardiness kind of paled into insignificance. My friend, well, he's just about to go and do something dangerous, stupid and very, very admirable - far braver than tutting loudly at a woman with a pushchair at City Airport. Braver even than not saying "thank you" to the air hostess as you get off the plane. Possibly even braver than saying to the British Airways' ticket desk, "It hasn't been great today, from a service point of view, has it?" as you walk past, mardily.

(Mardy: adjective. To be sulky and bad-tempered for no real reason. "Emma won't come out and play, she's being mardy".

Mard: noun. The manifestation of a mardy mood. "Emma won't come out and play, she's in a mard with me. She's been having a mard since last Tuesday"

Mardily: adverb. Doing something in a mardy manner. "Emma looked across the table mardily, like the stuck-up cow she was".

Mardiness: noun. The feeling of being mardy. "The mardiness had permeated the day like a pervasive melancholy. Everyone thought Emma was a mardy cow and the mard she was having had lasted a week and a half. Everyone thought it would be for the best if Emma jumped off a cliff. Mardy baby. See also 'mardy arse' and 'mardy bum'")

Anyway, that aside, I was definitely cheered up, and all remnants of mardiness fell away. Emma is fictional. Honest.

I try and keep the tone light in my Plog, so won't talk about my friend, for several reasons that I won't go into. But of course I'm thinking of him.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love the word mardy, and sorely miss using it on a regular basis! There isn't a simple and appropriate US translation, therefore, having to explain to a dumb America what mardy means is just frustrating. Like may other wonderful Loughborough-isms, I have had to drop mardy almost completely. There are so many Brit words they don't understand here it's ridiculous! And they think they speak English, ha!

AH NZ Adventure said...

They don't know what "Mardy" is in New Zealand either. I asked "Can't you tell its meaning from the context?" Apparently not...

I also like 'throwing a strop'. Not literally, I just like the phrase.

If Emma is so mardy, why don't you send her to do this dangerous thing too... It's a win-win situation.

Laura said...

I think I was about 20 before I realised that "mardy" wasn't actually a proper word. No-one in London knows what it means either.

It really is one of those great words that doesn't have a direct synonym.

As for "throwing a strop", I quite like "having a cob on". Weird Londoners use, "Emma had the arsehole with John". That conjures up really unpleasant images for me.

L x