About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Try-pod

Yesterday was a day of three things I don't normally do.

Thing One

Instead of office work, I went and did some training with The Prince's Trust. Really valuable stuff, and hope to put it into practice in the near future. Did you know that Prince Charles doesn't give any money at all to the Trust? He gave £8k to it many moons ago to set it up, but beyond that all the work he does is PR. Good job I'm here to tell you these things. The charity's excellent though, and I'm looking forward to working with them.


Thing Two

I'm not allowed to talk about in detail, but it was an audition for a TV show that's not yet launched - nothing hugely exciting, more audience member/comedy foil than Proper Comedy Work. Having said that, I got to poke around the offices at Hattrick and confirm my suspicions that a) TV life is grotty and the offices are much nastier than corporate offices b) TV people are full of themselves and c) generally dress well to cover up their intellectual inadequacies. Not really my thing; the more comedy I do, the more I feel that writing rather than performing is my forte. And even that's a mezzo-forte.


Thing Three

I went to a concert. I told this to my friend Nice Kate and she said that I sound really uncool by calling it a concert. She said I should call it a gig. But when I say gig, I always mean comedy gig, so that could get confusing. I told her it was Travis and she said that was more of a concert anyway. She then accused me of being square and middle aged. Until I reminded her that she'd just had a birthday and is very nearly a full decade older than I am. After that the sobbing kind of drowned out the rest of the conversation.

I went to the concert with my friend dave with a little "d". The evening started badly when he told me that he already had a Laura in his phone. This is fine - it's not an uncommon name. But she was in his phone as "Funny Laura". I was in there as "Grammar Laura". Grammar Laura is a good name, but it's not as good as Funny Laura. I sulked. He defended himself by saying he knew her before he met me, but I think that's unacceptable, and phone books are easily edited. I made more and more weaker and weaker jokes as the evening progressed, desperately trying to nudge myself up into "Funny Laura's" place. Instead, I think I probably just earned the moniker "Tries too hard Laura". Snappy.

A busy day, a good day, and a day of three unusual things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Point of clarification: You are officially preceded in my phonebook by both "Laura The Funny One" and "Laura The Presumably Deleted".

I bet that makes you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Do you read Grace Dent, Laura? You'd like her.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/tvod/

Laura said...

dave... I think I prefer my current position to that of "The Presumably Deleted" - but wonder how (if she's deleted) she's still in your phone.

Unless she has been literally deleted from the face of the earth (presumably).

Anon - had never come across Grace Dent before, but laughed out loud at the Apprentice blog. Nice writing style. I am wearing my best jealous face.

L x