About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I wanna learn how to fly (or dance would be a start)

Today I saw the funniest thing in the world.

I went to see Fame in the West End with my friend Boothie. "But Laura," I hear you say. "We like and respect your opinions on theatre. Indeed, you've opened our eyes to some hidden gems in the past. But even we, us uneducated theatre know-nothings, even we know that Fame is not a comedy."

And you'd kind of be right. It's not intentionally a comedy. And that makes it officially Funny As Fuck.

Let me start off by saying I can't dance. I don't mean that in a "I'm not a trained dancer" kind of way, or even in a "once I've had a few drinks I can shake my booty" kind of way (yes, I did just say "booty" - deal with it). I literally cannot dance. I have no rhythm. I'm self-conscious and I just don't enjoy it. So please take my critique in this context.

A lot of the dancers in Fame (perhaps unsurprisingly) were very good dancers. They banged out energetic dance routines and sang their little hearts out. However, two of the main characters, played by "H" from Steps and Natalie Casey from Two Pints of Lager were supposed to be "acting majors" rather than "dance majors".

Clearly in real life, these people are not trained dancers. This is fine. Except every so often, the entire cast would be on stage dancing, doing fantastic dance moves, brilliantly timed... with the exception of these two leads and the "teachers". Whilst the synchronised leg-flinging brilliance was happening at the front of the stage, about six lead actors skulked right at the very back of the stage, doing a poor impression of your uncle Keith at a school disco.

By the way, you should tell your uncle Keith that he should really stop going to school discos.

The whole situation was hysterical. As soon as I pointed out to Boothie what was happening we were in unstoppable giggles. It looked like the naughty kids taking the piss at the back of the class.

Still, we only paid a tenner for the tickets, and I got more giggles than a lot of comedy I've seen recently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who're you calling a "no-nothing"?
I'm a "know-nothing"!
:o) H x

Laura said...

You make a very fair point. Spelling corrected. Thank you Hazelf.ace. (You will be the only person in the world who understands that.)

L x