About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, August 18, 2006

Belter

My taxi driver was on time this morning. He talked, but not too much. He only asked me for directions twice. He didn't play Christian radio at me, or try and make me have a Les Mis singalong.

He was fine.

BUT, how come not a single taxi driver ever wears a seatbelt? The vast majority of people on the road fasten their seatbelt as an automatic reaction on getting into a car. We are constantly told that they are an advanced safety feature. We believe it. So, as a group of people who drive as a profession - what do these guys know that we don't?

All I can figure is that taxi drivers know that you're able to leg it from a burning wreck much quicker if you don't have to push the little red seatbelt button first.

1 comment:

AH NZ Adventure said...

Maybe there are no safety benefits of seatbealts. Maybe the taxi drivers (way back) after having had too many people dodge fares, decided to invent this "safety feature" which in actual fact is solely designed to keep you in the cab until you've paid your fare. Have you ever tried to take your seatbelt off before paying? Bet you can't!