About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Fair's fare

The taxi driver saga continues... I spent 40 minutes in a cab getting from Norwich Airport to Norwich train station in utterly solid traffic. (Cab driver: "It's always like this in Norwich when it rains." Clearly there's not a lot to do other than go for a drive.)

After missing a train, then, finally getting back to Liverpool Street two and a half hours later, I was pleased not to have to wait for a cab. I lugged my three heavy bags into the back.

"Where to, darling?"

"Bethnal Green please."

"Mumble mumble mumble Bethnal Green?" I thought he was asking for directions.

"If you go to Roman Road, I'll guide you in from there."

"I know where it is. I wait half an hour at the taxi rank and I get a fucking fare to fucking Bethnal Green."

OK, I can appreciate that he might hope for a longer journey, but still it was a ten pound fare... it's not exactly as if I asked him to drop me at Bishopsgate. Tosser. Besides which, it was hardly my fault. I was a customer with heavy luggage who couldn't easily use the tube, and had waited at a taxi rank to get - wait for it - a taxi.

So I gave him his tenner, and then did a big poo on the back seat.

3 comments:

Sara said...

At least you know that the driving is cursing at you, but will still probably take you to your requested destiniation. I've taken my share of taxis in Philly and NYC where the driver quite obviously doesn't understand English. So you get in, tell them where you want to go, they sometimes nod or vaguely stare at you a moment, then drive. Everytime I'm not quite sure if I'm being kidnapped, or will arrive safely at my destination unharmed! I won't even get into the varied and strange radio selections.

Of course I can't complain about the multitude of foreigners here, because I'm one myself, but I'm certainly questioning there ability to get me from A to B successfully!

AH NZ Adventure said...

Dare I ask where you went and for how long that required three heavy bags?

Laura said...

Nowhere exciting I'm afraid, Hazel. Was coming back from a training course in Norwich. My bags were full of plug components, a laptop and clothes for a couple of days.

Usually all goes in my boot, but the car was at the car hospital.