About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Clean and sparkly

My car is alive! Costing me about £200 to fix, but a lot cheaper than buying a sparkly new car (without a sparkly new salary). I look forward to reuniting the car with Jessica at the weekend.

I've only been to East Anglia twice in my life. And every time, I've had a weird run-in with a cleaner. My first time was when I went for an interview at Cambridge University and stayed overnight in the college.

"Hello," said the cleaner the next morning.

"Hello," I said.

"Are you here for an interview?"

"Yes I am," I replied, truthfully. I'm usually truthful.

"And are you going to have this room?"

"Sorry?" I asked.

"When you come here, will this be your room?"

It seemed too complicated to explain a) it was fairly unlikely I was going to be there at all and b) unfortunately I wasn't yet in charge of room allocation for Cambridge University. I think I settled for a tactful, "Hmm, maybe!"

Yesterday I was setting up the training room in the evening and a cleaner came in. We made (slightly less weird) small talk. Then she said, "My daughter would like a job here."

"Oh," said I. I don't work in Norwich, I don't know anyone who works in Norwich. I have slightly less authority than the guy who mends the vending machine in Norwich. This is the first time I've ever been to Norwich. I tried to explain that. But the cleaning lady then brought her daughter to me and we made awkward conversation about her A-level choices.

And then I took apart thirty plugs.

Weird job. Gotta love it.

5 comments:

AH NZ Adventure said...

What do you do with these plugs Laura?

Anonymous said...

Don't ask Hazel

Anonymous said...

Or rather- Don't ask, Hazel

Laura said...

It's a game we play as part of the training course. The delegates act as part of a plug production line, putting them together from scratch. The first time we play the game, the process is really inefficient (deliberately so). We then spend the next two days learning problem-solving tools relating to the plug game, and finally put in place improvements and see how many more plugs they can make this time.

It's a really useful tool to have a focus away from an actual business problem... but does mean I spend most of my life dismantling plugs.

AH NZ Adventure said...

Or get everyone to dismantle at least one plug for you before they're allowed to go home! Sounds like you have the power!