About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, August 14, 2006

UnXpected

Weird weekend.

On Friday night I did a gig in Maidstone. Died on my arse, which is never a huge amount of fun. Even less so because my uncle (whom I haven't seen for several years) and my friend Boothie came along to watch the spectacle. Rubbish audience. Wasn't my fault. Obviously.

Saturday Boothie and I were supposed to be doing a DaVinci Code walk around London. But as it was absolutely chucking it down, we decided to postpone. So instead I ended up going to meet some... (OK, if you think I'm quite a cool person, look away now... ) I went to meet some Press Gang fans who were having lunch at Leicester Square.

Press Gang, of course, was the greatest TV show ever written, and its characters and plots formed and framed my childhood. The writer, Steven Moffat, went on to write lots of other great stuff, including Joking Apart, Coupling and some of the best episodes of the recent two series of Dr Who. I've actually met him a few times (not saying where. Too embarrassing.), and he seems a decent bloke.

Anyway, so I met up with the fans - proper fans - badges and everything. It was lovely, but quite scary to meet people who - if it were possible - were bigger fans than I had been at my most fan-girl stage. And a couple of hours into our chat... along came Mr Moffat himself. He'd been lured along by a couple of the fans who knew him quite well. He patiently answered scary geek questions and tried his best not to pour too much scorn on the adulation which gushed all over the table. The waitress did her best to clear up both the scorn and the adulation after we'd left.

So I spent some of my Saturday afternoon with the man who was very probably responsible for forming my somewhat disturbing sense of humour.

There were a few shocking Press Gang revelations, which I shan't bother you with here - I guess very few of you even remember Press Gang (so buy it on DVD! Now!). But it was a totally unexpected way to spend a lunchtime - and so much nicer for it.

Those of you who "get" the title of this entry... You should have been there on Saturday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the famous actor who played Agent X? Michael Jayston? And wasn't it UNExPECTED? Gosh! I'm a geek!

Laura said...

Not to correct your geekiness, but I believe it was Colonel X. It was indeed Michael Jayston (for which you earn 3 geek points, because I had to go away and look that up). But no on the caps front.

You are either a family member or a soulmate.

:o)

Anonymous said...

:holds hand up to being the scary one:

Well, that was fun wasn't it ? The man just turned up in Pizza Hut ! Most random when you think about it, things like that are not supposed to happen.

"Couldn't you at least have goen to Pizza Express ?"

Laura said...

You weren't scary! Not even a little bit. In fact, I was surprised by how relatively normal we were. :o)

My favourite moment was realising that Bloody Billy wouldn't be able to get up the three steps...