About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Car-azy

"So what model are you interested in, Miss Nunn?" asked the Peugeot salesman.

The answer I wanted to give was, "The Mini One, but the bastards have stopped making that until April next year and I can't afford a Cooper." Instead I said, "The 206."

"Not a problem, not a problem," said the salesman. "What other cars have you test-driven?"

"The Mini One, a Vauxhall Corsa and a Toyota Yaris," said I.

"Not a problem, not a problem," said the salesman. I was beginning to wonder why it would be a problem.

"So, what do you drive at the moment, Miss Nunn?" asked the salesman.

"A Vauxhall Astra."

"Not a problem, not a problem. Oh, hang on a minute. No, we do have a problem. Your car is shit. Sorry. I've just looked at it on the scale - see here? This is where the Mini One falls - 'Not shit'; here's the Corsa - 'not too shit', the Yaris - 'a little bit shit', and your K-reg Astra falls right down here - 'shit as a weekend's camping holiday in Scarborough'. So you see, Miss Nunn, it is a problem, and you may not test-drive the Peugeot 206. You are not good enough for us."

"Not a problem, not a problem," I said.

Not really. I did test-drive the 206 and the 207. They were OK. But I want the Mini. It's a bit like having your heart set on a Radley bag that's quite expensive. You know the one in Next is also made of leather, has all the zips and pockets you need... but it's just not the same.

The Astra and I have decided to stay together until I can get my grubby little mitts on a new Mini. By hook or by crook. Off to buy some hooks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - I haven't heard of an ocado carrier bag - I HAVE HEARD OF A RADLEY BAG!

Laura - you know where you can find a mini and you know where it's parked overnight!!! I don't see the problem?!

Hazel xx

Laura said...

Martin - if I could afford to do my supermarket shopping at Waitrose each week, I would stuff it all into giant Radley bags and smirk at poor people as I drove past.

Hazel - Ocado is Waitrose's online shopping delivery service; minimum order = £75.

Laura's average weekly supermarket bill = £15*

* Laura's average weekly food bill, including eating out at restaurants = £ quite a lot more.

I got a Radley bag for my birthday. I am smug as a patronising bug in a designer rug.

Sara said...

I'd never heard of Radley bags before... must be a British thing. I'm out of the loop!!! But apparently I can be smug too because my mum bought me a Radley passport holder while she was in Scotland a couple of months ago. I didn't know, 'til reading your blog, of it's value! Who knew my mum would buy me something that's actually "in".

Laura said...

Radley is indeed a British thing (though no doubt made in Chinese sweatshops). I tried to find some when I was in the States recently, to no avail.

So your mum has her finger on the pulse - they're certainly popular over here.

Enjoy your smugness!

L x