About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Asylum shoppers

It has been a good week. There has been dinner with friends, there has been a rather good gig at the Comedy Cafe (even if I do say so myself), there has been a long walk in the park with a friend, and today there has been some tidying of bookshelves. Admittedly today has let the side down a little bit in terms of a rock 'n roll existence. I just try and tell you the truth.

I did get to see several genuinely mad people though on my way to Sainsbury's in Whitechapel. Sainsbury's at Whitechapel is a kind of Mecca for the mad. All mad must try and make at least one pilgrimage (preferably on a Sunday) during their lifetime to Sainsbury's on Cambridge Heath Road. Today my favourite mad people were the old man at the Sainsbury's traffic lights, and the Chinese DVD lady.

The man at the traffic lights was stood on the island in the middle of the road. As drivers stopped at the traffic lights, he approached their cars, making signs like he wanted to take a photograph. Except he didn't have a camera. Perhaps he wanted drivers to take his photograph. This seemed unlikely as he wasn't really dressed for the occasion. He had long fingernails that curled round. I became suddenly aware that I didn't know how to lock my driver's door in my new car. I shook my head politely when he approached me. This seemed to work. He went to stand back on the island, warming his hands and waiting patiently for the next driver.

The Chinese lady wanted to sell me new DVDs of films that were still at the cinema. There is a strict quota of one Chinese person for every public place in London, each selling dodgy DVDs. I have yet to work out the link between the nationality of the purveyors and the pirate film industry. When I say the "pirate film industry", I don't mean Pirates of the Caribbean, Hook and so on. You probably understood that. That would be a fairly niche market.

It's been a good weekend.

No comments: