About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, January 15, 2007

Like it or lump it

Laura's definition of a quiet weekend: when you lock the door before bed on Friday evening, and don't unlock it again until you leave for work on Monday morning.

OK, it wasn't quite that bad. In fact, I had a gig last night, at Downstairs at the King's Head, which is one of my all-time favourite venues. A fifteen-minute paid set, so a bit scarier than a five or ten-minute open spot. Good fun though. It wasn't too bad - the venue wasn't as full as I'd have liked, so people were kind of spread out. Also, I was on first, which is not an enviable position - people haven't drunk nearly enough alcohol to find me funny*.

I was road-testing a new bit of material as well. Well, I was road-testing two new lines actually, but one of them's a keeper, so I won't spoil it here. The other one I've tried out twice now and I just can't get it to work. Bascially I do a routine about going to the doctors, fancying the doctor, and accidentally breaking into song. So I start with a bit of material that I know works OK. Then I try some newer stuff which is kind of working, but needs tweaking... then I launch into a bit of singing (never good):

"My humps, my humps, my humps, my humps. My lovely lady lumps," sing I. "'Or, to give them their medical name - tumours,' as my doctor said."

This was something that had my brother and I in hysterics a few months back, but I think it's perhaps a little bit too dark for the Crouch End crowd at 8.30 p.m. on a Sunday. I'll be dropping it now. I just can't make it work.

Still, I'm sure it's utterly fascinating for you to see into the developing set of a not-at-all-known-mostly-cause-she's-not-that-good comic.

* It could be argued that Sainsbury's doesn't sell enough alcohol to make that the case. But that would be mean, and quite a weak joke. Now go away and think about what you've done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the 17 hyphens today Laura's plog.I'm now hyphen-ventilating.
Also, iMac is doing Downstairs-at-the-Kings-Head this week too!

Anonymous said...

LOL. The lumps made me giggle.

Maybe it just needs the right phrasing to force other people to find it funny too. Which they should.

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you incorporated your lovely lady lumps with the mad doctor routine...
Hazel x

Laura said...

I'd completely forgotten the mad doctor! Consigned to the annals of history, now I no longer drink.

Pity no-one else seems to have forgotten it.

L x

Laura said...

iMac - good luck for the King's Head - I didn't realise you were a comic!

Liked the hyphen-ventilating line. Here are some more hyphens, just for you ------

Would come and see you on Thurs, but have my book club (nothing gets in the way of book club). Good luck though - have a great gig.

L x

Laura said...

I was talking to Erica about this on the phone last night. We concluded there aren't nearly enough jokes about breast cancer. For something that statistically affects 1 in 3 of us, people just don't seem to find it funny.

Weird.

L x