About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, January 12, 2007

Creme of the crop


I am a summer person. I loathe and detest winter. But one thing alone gets me through these nasty, cold months. For everyone in the UK knows that the period between Christmas and May-time is officially Cadbury's Creme Egg season.

Actually, normally, I don't have that much of a sweet tooth. I don't really like cake, I hate buttercream and icing, and anything that's overly sweet. But there's something about Cadbury's Creme Eggs that just makes me turn into a six year-old child. Luckily, I am a grown-up, and my wage is just about sufficient to keep me in as many Creme Eggs as is recommended by the government's RDA targets.

Today I bought a box of eight of the little chocolate orbs of wonderfulness; today saw my first Creme Egg of the year. I shall keep them in my desk drawer, allowing myself one at 3.30 p.m. on particularly busy days. I shall keep replenishing the stock, sharing with no-one. For everyone knows that it is a cardinal sin to part with a Creme Egg.

My all-time favourite month of the year though is May. Partly because the weather is perfect and the cherry blossom at its candy-floss fullest, but mostly it's because Creme Eggs are reduced and you can get five of them for a pound. Then I stock up on what some would consider to be an obscene number of eggs, and make them last me well into July. Then the dearth of chocolate begins. There is no good summer chocolate.

This is a market that someone should conquer. Preferably with something egg-shaped and filled with sugary fondant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hyphenation excites iMac Hunt even when used incorrectly. You just used seven in one blog.

*Yes I'm weird*

Laura said...

I hope you're not insinuating I used hyphens incorrectly. I'll have you know that compound adjectival hyphenation is one of my favourite subjects.

L x

Sara said...

Cadbury's Creme Eggs are actually available State-side now too! We can even get Cadbury's Mini Eggs (my personal favorite). The only trouble is, if you are a real Cadbury's fan like me, you can tell there's something not quite right... Hershey makes them on behalf of Cadbury's in the US, so the chocolate isn't quite the same. I think it's something to do with the FDA (Food and Drug Admin) not allowing good tasting chocolate to be made and sold in the US.