About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rebecca

Last night I finished reading Rebecca for our book club in a couple of weeks' time. I was pleased the novel had been selected, as it's pretty much at the top of my, "I can't believe I've got an English degree and haven't read..." list.

I expected it to be Jane Eyre-ish, or Pride and Prejudice-ian, or possibly Wuthering Heights-esque. Basic story of boy meets girl, and after lots of confusion and misunderstandings, they end up getting married (or dying). It wasn't. It was fab. I don't want to give it away for anyone, but I loved how it started where most novels finish - at the marriage, and also how the protagonist isn't Rebecca at all... In fact, we never find out her name. If you've not read it, I highly recommend it. You can buy it delivered to your door for the bargain price of £5.99 from http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/402093/Rebecca/Product.html. Do it now.

I have had dreams three nights in a row about being back at school and turning up to the wrong English class. In one memorable instance, I accidentally flushed my essay down the toilet. Symbolic? "Last night I dreamed I went to English class again..." Hmm, let's leave it to Du Maurier.

No comments: