About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, July 10, 2006

Utterly shellfish

Have you ever had something so odd happen to you that, although you know it's true, you almost doubt yourself in the retelling of it?

Set the scene: 1998, about Easter time, if memory serves. I was taking a year out between school and uni, and was working in Coalville. Erica lived locally and one hot spring weekend, Erica decided we needed to go rampaging for ice-cream. This is common for Erica. Drugs keep the rampaging gene under control, but she can never be fully cured.

Me, I don't like ice-cream. I know that's weird. Also I don't like chips or birthday cake. You may throw your best insult at me now.

So, off we went to the drive-thru McDonalds. Erica was driving. As we pulled up to the window, Erica ordered an ice-cream sundae. I think this may have been the days before McFlurries.

"We ain't got any spoons," said the McDonalds Coalvillian.

"Oh," said Erica. "Have you got a fork?"

"Hang on. Drive up to the next window."

Erica was handed an ice-cream sundae... and a plastic knife. This in itself is a mildly-amusing anecdote. But not unbelievable, not really, not unless you have a really bad imagination.

What was strange was this...

As we pulled up at the second window, McDonalds were advertising their latest Happy Meal toy - in this instance, little cuddly Wombles. Waiting for the order to be despatched (with its knife), we idly read the advert. I swear on my life, that the following lettering appeared at the bottom of the Womble poster:

"Warning: Wombles' coats may contain prawns."

Prawn-coated Wombles? I am pretty sure that you don't usually make children's toys out of seafood. The only thing I could possibly think of is that the design agency was having a laugh and accidentally forgot to remove it before it went to print.

However, I ran a Google search this morning... Nothing came up for Wombles and prawns, but there was this: http://www.scottishresearch.com/WhatsNew/News/Older/tcm-26-39140.asp. You can make textiles out of shellfish after all!

So perhaps Wombles really are made out of prawns. But very probably, only in Coalville.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the link gets stopped at a uni holding pen? (Note Californian interrogative statement)

Laura said...

Oh no! My only proof that you could make clothing from Wombles is ruined! Ruined!

Nice uptalking. Stop it now.

L x

Laura said...

Not Wombles. I meant prawns. Obviously you can make clothes from Wombles. You just skin one, wash its fur to get most of the blood out, and hey presto, a nice soft winter coat.