About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, July 21, 2006

Back to the Beginning

Back to the Future, You've Got Mail, Groundhog Day. Three films which are all pretty good, they all have their merits... Also three films which plague me on a regular basis.

I don't reckon it's just me. I turn on the TV and one of these films is showing. I like it enough to watch the rest of it. But I can't remember how any of them start.

Every time I turn on the TV, Doc Brown is hanging from the clockface, Meg Ryan is saying, "I wanted it to be you" and Bill Murray is rolling round in the snow with Andi MacDowell. But I never see the start.

I'm beginning to think that the movie executives have cottoned on to this, and realised that they only have to pay for half a film, so long as they show it at a time that allows people to think, "Oh dear, I've just missed the start." Or else, perhaps we're making massive assumptions about the intial hour of the film. Perhaps Back to the Future starts in a Nazi concentration camp and in fact the first half of You've Got Mail is based on the true life story of Ghandi.

You never know. Well, unless you buy it on DVD. Or SkyPlus it like I can. See, remember, I'm better than you.

No comments: